I’m getting many customer questions about BPMN and CMMN. Customer cases are not really sequential nor parallel steps, but they need to have managed and traced steps. How to do it?
The answer is very simple, user Casemanagement. You will have a process model but your business steps can be executes in different orders. every case is handled on a different way. Some are dependance steps and others not. From each step you can decide to close the case(process). Some steps can be mediatory others not. Documents can be added to build the case, decisions can be made based on input.
In below I will try to explain a customer case which is handeling interruptions noticed by customer.
Customers fills in a form on web about a system interruption,
- Service desk checks the details to determine if it is an interruption.
- The customer will be contacted
- the contact will be reviewed, based on the outcome of the review..
- documents cane be requested..
- documents can be reviewed and based on the review outcome..
- more technical info can be requested.
- in this case, it is also possible to create a customer case to close end the process at any time based on the step input.
In these steps you can even call a BPM to handle an approval process based on hierarchical decision.